GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) is held annually jointly by the seven IITs and the IISc on behalf of the National Coordination Board. The IIT conducting the exam for that particular year generally publishes the exam details on their online portal. The application process for the exam is easy but one must ensure to fill in the correct details in order to get an admit card. An admit card is an entry point for getting into the GATE exam as it is similar to a hall ticket. Let’s discuss the detailed process for filling the application form correctly.
The first thing to keep in mind here is to follow up on the application date released by the IIT. This year i.e. 2020 the exam was conducted by IIT Delhi and the next year i.e. in 2021 the exam will be conducted by IIT Bombay. The tentative dates for the same are mentioned below for the exam being held in 2021.
Notification for release of GATE
Online Application form filling through GOAPS
August 2020 (last week)-September 2020
Last submission date
September 2020 (last week)
Correction in the final form
Last date for changing the exam city
Admit Card download
Exam date released
First Week of February 2021
After the application form is released, candidates have to register through the GATE Online Processing System (GOAPS). While registering, the candidates are asked to fill their Full Name, E-mail ID, Residing Country, Contact No and a valid password. After submitting that, an OTP is sent to the registered Contact No and email to continue the further registration process. Candidates will receive a unique enrollment ID which they need to preserve.
The next step is to login with the credentials again and fill the GATE form. This form includes details such as:
- Personal Details like Candidate’s Name, Father’s Name, Mother’s Name, nationality, date of birth, etc.
- Academic Details like the marks scored in their HSC and graduation.
- Residence address and the permanent address.
- Choosing the GATE paper for which the candidate wants to apply.
- Choosing the exam center where the candidate wants to give the exam.
- Upload a scanned photograph along with the candidate’s signature.
The next is the preview screen where the candidate must ensure that the details which they have mentioned are correct. If the wrong details are entered, the admit card will contain the same detail and the results will have that wrong details too.
The last step is to pay the application fees via debit card, credit card or net banking. The fees for Men (all categories) is Rs.1500, the fees for SC/ST/Women/PwD are Rs. 750, for international students (Dubai & Singapore) is $100 USD, for International Students (Columbo, Kathmandu & Dhaka) is $50 USD. Note that additional fees of Rs.500 must be paid by the candidate in case they submit the application form late. The late application submission fees for SC/ST/PwD/Women are Rs. 1,250, for Men (all categories) is Rs.2000, for International Students (Dubai & Singapore) is $120 USD and for International Students (Columbo, Kathmandu & Dhaka) is $70 USD. The date for the same shall be released by the officials around November.
- The scanned photograph must be in a JPEG format. The dimensions for the same must be 3.5cm X 4.5 cm. The maximum resolution of the photograph should be 480 X 640 pixels while the minimum should be 240 X 320 pixels. The photograph must be taken on a white background where the candidate’s face should cover 50% in the total area of the photograph. It must be a passport-sized colored photograph and sunglasses or tinted glasses are not accepted. A candidate must wear clear glasses only.
- For the signature, it must also be in a JPEG format. A candidate must sign in a rectangular box in A4 size white paper. The dimensions for the same are 2cm X 7cm in size. The candidate must sign using a dark blue or black colored pen only. The resolutions for the same are a maximum of 160 X 560 pixels and a minimum are 80 X 280 pixels.
- A scanned copy of the caste certificate i.e SC/ST/PwD or in case of dyslexia must be submitted in a PDF format.
- A declaration must be submitted if the candidates belong to Jammu & Kashmir.
- Valid and credible identity proofs should be submitted in the online form and the same should be carried for the exam.
Candidates can check their application status by logging in with the credentials they received during the registration. If any documents/photographs/signature is not approved, the officials will inform the candidates via the registered email and SMS.