Aspirants who are appearing for the railway exam must make sure to clear the RRB medical exam which is applicable for several posts. The RRB medical test is carried out after the aptitude test and the verification of documents for most railway examinations. Therefore, to become eligible for the RRB medical test, the candidate first needs to qualify at these stages and also clear the Railway medical standards / rules that are mentioned in this blog.
Applicants should note that if they fail in clearing the rail medical test, they will not be considered for other positions. Applicants should be concerned about their selection as Indian Railway is serious about the medical procedure for all railway examinations. When it comes to Eye-vision standards for various Railway exams such as Railway Goods Guard, ASM, and Traffic Apprentice (TA), many candidates make mistakes when selecting the job preference. Here we provide full details of the Railway eye vision standards for various railway examinations.
What Does Eyesight 6/6, 6/9, 6/12, 6/18 Mean?
RRB eye vision standards are measured using Snellen's eye chart in which a group of letters is printed in different font sizes that a candidate must read standing from a distance.
- If you score 6/6, it means you can see and read things from a distance of 6 meters.
- 6/9 eye vision means that you can see objects from a distance of 6 meters. A normal person can see an object from 9 meters distance, which means that your vision is slightly lower than the normal condition.
- If your score is 6/12 and 6/18, it means that you are able to read from 6 meters away. A normal person can easily read from 12 to 18 meters’ distance.
How to check if your eyesight is 6/6, 6/9 or 6/12, or 6/18?
- The fractions 6/6, 6/9, 6/12, and 6/18 are measures of visual acuity (VA).
- VA denotes the clarity and precision of your vision and is generally verified at a distance of 20 feet (6.1 m).
- The numerator in the vision refers to a distance your eye can see, which means a normal healthy eye can see from this distance.
- Your VA is then generated by comparing your eyes to an arbitrary "normal" standard. The first number is the distance of you and the chart- say, 6 meters. The second number is a measure of your performance in terms of reading letters compared to the "normal" person.
- For example, if you read as a normal person standing 6 meter from the board, your score would therefore be 6/6.
- But if you couldn't read those letters precisely from a distance of 6 meters, then your score would then be 6/9:
- It is very simple to check your visual acuity and to find out if you are eligible for C-1 and / or A-2. All you need is an eye chart (known as a Snellen chart) as shown below.
- The above table has visual acuity shown in feet. For metric standards, see the image below:
RRB Official Notification Rules for Eye Notification Exam
The railway medical rules are suggestive and not exhaustive for candidates in general.
- Applicants must ensure that they meet the railway medical standards prescribed for this category / position.
- Applicants who do not meet the prescribed RRB medical standards should not apply for the RRB exam.
- Different standards for veterans or ex-serviceman.
- Candidates who qualify for the exams for these positions but fail to clear RRB medical tests will not be considered for any appointment.
RRB NTPC Physical Test Details
The RRB NTPC medical test will be carried out by the Railway Commission in the coming days, so applicants should check the following points below:
- Height, weight and chest measurement will be measured.
- The condition of the heart and lungs will be recorded.
- Check for signs of abdominal disease (if any).
- Whether there is a hernia or any symptoms of hernia.
- Is there a disease in the ear?
- If there is any communicable disease.
- If there is a contagious disease.
- If there is free movement of the joints.
Above we have tried to summarize all the necessary facts related to Railway Medical rules and eye vision standards for the railway examination. We hope the above article has helped you to dispel your doubts for the RRB exam.