HSEE exam refers to Humanities and social sciences entrance exam which is conducted by the IIT Madras. Here we will cover about the HSEE Entrance Exam info for candidates who wish to attend this exam and crack it in the first attempt.
HSEE is a 5-year integrated course in Masters in Arts. There are 52 seats which are available for the students. This entrance exam allows students to take admission in two Programmes:
I) Integrated M.A. in Development Studies
ii) Integrated M.A. in English Studies
This course helps students to build overall critical thinking and improve human conditions.
HSEE Entrance Exam Eligibility:
- Candidates who have completed 10+2 from any board or university with at least 60% score for general category and 55% score for SC, ST, and PwD category.
- Intermediate or two-year Pre-University examination conducted by a Board or University recognized by the Association of Indian Universities.
- Final examination of the two-year course of the Joint Services Wing of the National Defense Academy.
- Senior Secondary School Examination conducted by the National Institute of Open Schooling with a minimum of five subjects.
- Any Public School Board or University examination in India or in a foreign country recognized as equivalent to the 10+2 system by the Association of Indian Universities.
- HSC vocational examination.
- General Certificate Education (GCE) examination (London, Cambridge, or Sri Lanka) at the Advanced (A) level.
- High School Certificate Examination of the Cambridge University or International Baccalaureate Diploma of the International Baccalaureate Office, Geneva.
HSEE Entrance Exam Paper Pattern:
Let's look at the complete HSEE Entrance Exam Paper pattern below.
- The mode of examination is both online and offline.
- There are two parts of the paper for this examination.
- Part 1 paper is an online computer-based test which comprises topics like English and comprehension skills, Analytical, Quantitative Ability, General studies, Environmental and Ecology.
- Part 2 paper is an offline paper pen based test where you need to write an essay on the given topic.
- There are no negative marks.
HSEE Entrance Exam Syllabus:
- Part 1 for HSEE Entrance exam syllabus consists of 4 section:
- English and comprehension skills
- Analytical and Quantitative Ability,
- General Studies
- Environmental and Ecology.
1. English and comprehension skills
The questions will be based on passages and you need to answer the questions from the passage. In this section, your reading speed should be maximum. Some of the important topics of this section:
- Reading Comprehension
- Inference based questions
- Foreign words and phrases
- Structure and collocations
2. Analytical and Quantitative Ability
The important topics for Analytical
- Data Arrangements
- Seating Arrangements
- Statements and Conclusion
- Legal Statement and Relationships
- Persons and events.
The questions in the quantitative section are generally from the 10th and 12th Maths syllabus. Some of the important topics are given below:
- Elementary Mathematics
- Arithmetic systems
- Number system
- Chain Rule
- Ratio and proportion
- Square roots/Cube roots
- Fractions / Decimals
- Simple Interest /Compound Interest
- Area and volume
- Profit and loss
3. General Studies
The questions in this section are based on the current affairs which have happened in the recent year. Read a lot of General knowledge books and newspapers every day to excel in this section.
- International events
- UN bodies
- Major areas in the development of sports, geopolitics, and environmental agreements.
- Current Affair
- Eminent personalities
- Awards and honors
4. Environment and Ecology
- Global Environmental picture
- Part 2 is a written essay based test where you need to write a descriptive essay of the given topics
- Topics of essay writing will be based on general awareness topics and current affairs.
HSEE Entrance Exam Examtips :
To follow a good HSEE Entrance Exam preparation strategy, you must follow the below preparation tips.
1) Analysis of syllabus and Paper Pattern
Have proper knowledge about the paper pattern and syllabus of this exam. You cannot prepare well until you have a proper idea about the syllabus of this examination. Analyze each and every section and prepare each section thoroughly.
2) Accumulate study resources
Accumulate all the study material needed for the examination and start studying early. Prepare a timetable as it will make your preparation more disciplined.
3) Prepare smartly
Select the topics which appear to be having a high weightage of marks. Prepare notes for important topics and take the help of the previous year's paper.
4) Study Vocabulary
Studying new words every day will help you in reading comprehension and language skills. Reading books like ``Word Power made easy" will be really helpful.
5) Time Management
Time management is one of the most important HSEE Entrance Exam Examtips. While preparing for this examination prepare a timetable and distribute equal timing for each section.
6) Take breaks while studying
Taking breaks while studying can improve your study habits because studying for a longer time might make you feel demotivated, but avoid taking a whole day breaks as less as possible.
7) Practice mock papers
Practice! Practice! Practise, that's all I can say. Practice mock paper as much as possible, it makes you more confident for attempting your papers.
This was the complete HSEE Entrance Exam Info that one needs to know of. I hope the above information is helpful to you while preparing for this exam. Follow the above tips and I'm sure you will get a good score. Good Luck!