All you need to know about the Bachelor in Mass Media Course(BMM)
Bachelor in Mass Media is one of the trending courses for this generation. The students who want to pursue their career in the field of Journalism, advertisement, and Entertainment industry generally opt for this career.
This course is a 3-year undergraduate course consisting of 6 semesters. The student generally has to submit the assignment and get on-field experience in this course.
The skills the candidate should have while pursuing BMM are creativity, communication skills, analytical skills, Research skills, networking skills. These are a few of the important skills of a BMM student that he/she should possess.
- A student who has cleared 10+2 from recognized school and university with a minimum 50% score is eligible for this course.
- You need to have scored more than the minimum cut-off percentage of the college you are applying to.
- This minimal cut-off percentage score is completely dependent on the college or university.
- The eligibility criteria completely depend upon the cut off of the particular college you are opting for.
BMM course subjects:
The BMM course is a 3-year undergraduate course with six semesters. The students have to choose a specialization in the last year of BMM between advertisement and journalism.
The BMM course subjects allow the students to explore every corner of Mass Media and allows them to choose their specialization.
- Effective Communication Skills-I
- Fundamentals of Mass Communication
- Introduction to Computers
- Landmark Events in 20th Century History of World & India
- Introduction to Sociology, The Sociology of News and Social Movements in India
- Introduction to Economics
- Effective Communication Skills–II
- Political Concepts and the Indian Political System
- Principles of Management And Marketing
- Introduction to Psychology
- An Introduction to Litterateurs
- Translation Skill
- Introduction to Creative Writing
- Introduction to Culture Studies
- Introduction to Public Relations
- Introduction to Media Studies
- Understanding Cinema
- Advanced Computers
- Introduction to Advertising
- Introduction to Journalism
- Print Production and Photography
- Radio and Television
- Mass Media Organizational Behaviour
Semester 5 (Advertising)
- Advertising in Contemporary Society
- Advertising Design (Project Paper)
- Consumer Behaviour
- Media Planning and Buying
- Brand Building
Semester 5 (Journalism)
- Feature and Opinion
- Journalism and Public Opinion
- Indian Regional Journalism
- Newspaper – Magazine Making (Project Paper)
Semester 6 (Advertising)
- Advertising and Marketing Research
- Legal Environment and Advertising Ethics
- Financial Management for Marketing and Advertising
- Agency Management
- The Principles and Practice of Direct Marketing
- Contemporary Issues
Semester 6 (Journalism)
- Press Law and Ethics
- Broadcast Journalism
- Business and Magazine Journalism
- Internet and Issues in the Global Media
- News Media Management
- Contemporary Issues
Job Opportunities And career options After BMM:
- The BMM course provides a wide range of job opportunities in the field of Television, Ad agency, public relations, films, and so on.
- The popular job profiles after BMM are director, sound engineer, event manager, journalist, content writer, news anchor, photographer, Radio Channels, Web-Media.
- There has been increasing growth in the field of web media in recent years, there are various web channels that make more money than the traditional media, there are chances you might land up in such a web agency but it totally depends upon your experience and skills.
- In this field, only your work experience and skills will lead you to success.
- Making a successful career in this field is quite difficult but you have a vision and goal you will surely be successful in this field.
- The BMM course fees differ from college to college, but the average course fee is 20000-90000.
- In BMM you need to maintain a portfolio of your work, anything, and everything you have done in your three-year course.
- It may be a short film, sketches, or design, working with some media company as an intern, everything should be updated in your portfolio or resume.
- The salary, in the beginning, would range 150000 to 300000 pa but as your skills and experience increase your salary increases too.
- After BMM you can also opt for future studies in this field that can give you more exposure in the future.
- There are various masters and postgraduate course in this field like:
- Masters in Mass Media
- Masters in Journalism and Mass Communication
- Masters in Mass Communication
- PGD in Journalism
- PGD in Mass Media
- PGD in Mass Communication
Top colleges for BMM course in Mumbai
- St Xaviers College, Mumbai
- Mithibai college of arts and commerce, Mumbai
- Jai hind College, Mumbai
- St Andrew College, Mumbai
- Wilson College, Mumbai
The above colleges for the BMM course in Mumbai are one of the top colleges in India. During the three year course try and enroll in various events and clubs in your college.
Gather a lot of experience and also at least do one internship in three years. If you have experience and internships you will get great opportunities in the future in your desired field. Good Luck!