Paper 1 of the UGC NET Exam is organized in order to test a candidate’s teaching aptitude, analytical and logical reasoning along with various other important factors required in the professions of lectureship. Doing good in paper 1 is not only limited to clearing cut off marks but can also give you advantage over other candidates by maximizing your overall score.
Also Read: Complete information of UGC NET exam
Paper pattern of UGC NET paper 1
- The paper will be online in CBT mode.
- This paper contains 50 questions from about 10 different topics. Each topic questions have equal number of weightages i.e. 5 questions from a single topic.
- A total of 60 minutes is allotted for this paper.
- There is no negative marking.
- Each question carries equal marks (+2).
- The questions will be objective in nature having multiple choice answers.
Syllabus of UGC NET Paper 1
Teaching: Nature, Objective, Characteristics and basic requirements.
Factors affecting teaching
Methods of teaching
Research: Meaning, characteristic and types
Steps of research
Methods of research
Paper, article, workshop, Seminar, conference and symposium
Thesis writing, its characteristics and format.
A passage to be set with questions to be answered.
Communication: Nature, Characteristics, types, barriers and effective classroom communication.
Understanding the structure of arguments
Evaluating and distinguishing deductive and inductive reasoning
Verbal analogies: Word Analogy-Applied analogy
Reasoning Logical Diagrams: Simple Diagrammatic relationship, Multi diagrammatic relationship
Venn diagram, Analytical reasoning.
Sources, acquisition and interpretation of data
Quantitative and qualitative data
Graphical representation and mapping of data
Information and communication Technology (ICT)
ICT: Meaning, advantages, disadvantages and uses
General abbreviations and terminology
Basics of internet and e-mailing
People and Environment
People and environment interaction
Sources of pollution
Pollutants and their impact on human life, exploitation of natural energy resources
Natural hazards and mitigation
Higher Education system
Structure of institutions, Formal and distance education, professional/technical and general education
Governance, polity and administration
Concept, institutions and their interactions
See also: ugc net books Recommended By Experts
Preparation strategy for beginner of UGC NET
Start off with books and study materials. You can go through the above suggested books for paper 1. Read one book thoroughly and mark important points. Solve the questions and exercises given at the end of each chapter. In addition to reading books get your hands on some online study material for UGC NET. Online study materials are extensive compilation of the best notes and books. Each topic is maintained in such a way that it covers all the aspects of a topic. Moreover, these online study materials are helpful for paper 2 as well.
- It is advised to study teaching and research part in depth as these two topics are tougher than the rest. A student can start off by buying a separate book teaching and research from among the one’s mentioned above. Teaching aptitude is mostly theoretical therefore it is wise to read through ready made notes.
- Solve as many questions as you can from research topics including types of research as exploratory, fundamental, historical and experimental research.
- A candidate may revise basic mathematical concepts asked in the paper from class X books. For Reasoning, logical reasoning and data interpretation Quantitative aptitude by R.S. Aggarwal is recommended.
- Maintain Flash cards of abbreviations and terminology for Information and communicating technology.
- Pay close attention to basic communication framework and organizational communications by following the prescribed books.
- Practice Comprehension techniques by solving questions from various bank PO examinations.
- Topics under people and environment should be read from class X NECRT books.
- Higher Education System: For this topic, follow government related schemes, Latest changes in administration and governance of higher education in India.
Check out the: UGC NET Previous Year Question Papers | ugc net exam pattern