The continued agitation against the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) is eliciting many responses from a diverse range of political factions, even as the protests continue in different states.
Here are some of the recent developments:
* PM denounces vandalism amid protests, asks protestors to introspect whether this path is correct
* UP government issues notices to people in Meerut for damage to property
* Aligarh Muslim University students recount details of police action
* Former Karnataka Chief Minister M Veerappa Moily blames Centre for creating unneccessary confusion over CAA, NRC, leading to the protests in the first place. Says there would have been no violence if people had been allowed to protest.
* Media images of NPR are also causing a lot of confusion
What you should know:
Citizenship Amendment Act
National Register for Citizenship
Subsequent protests against CAA, NRC
Supreme Court’s Stance on the matter