First let’s understand what is minification.
To minify JS, CSS and HTML files, comments and extra spaces need to be removed, as well as crunch variable names so as to minimize code and reduce file size. The minified file version provides the same functionality while reducing the bandwidth of network requests.
Minification vs compression:
Minification removes whitespace and other unnecessary characters from the file to create a different CSS file with exactly the same meaning.
but compressing uses a compression algorithm (such as gzip) and adds an HTTP response header to tell the client that the file is compressed CSS (instead of plain text CSS) so it can be decompressed before being passed to the CSS parser.
- When your webpage is loaded into the browser, it will be rendered quickly because less content is downloaded.
- Less data is transmitted over the network reduces bandwidth cost
- Faster loading improves UX and SEO
- File size is decreased by removing unnecessary content without compromising main functionality.
There are some online tools available, you can easily minify your code for any website. And for you WordPress users, there are some powerful plugins available to minify. Some of them are:
- Autoptimize (Wordpress)
- Fast Velocity Minify (Wordpress)
- W3 Total Cache (Wordpress)
- WP Super Cache (Wordpress)
- WP Fastest Cache (Wordpress)
Tips for minifying your files without breaking your site:
- Always backup your website before making changes
- When using tools such as PageSpeed Insights, be careful about implementing everything
- Don’t use multiple plugins to minify your files.
- Start with minifying for your CSS. If you’re using a plugin use its automatic mode first. If automatic mode doesn’t work, check the web browsers error console to confirm that the optimization isn’t working
- Also, if minification is done incorrectlt, it ccan mess up your site.
Thankyou for reading...
Please follow Web Camp for more such information.
Also, If you or your developer want me to develop something for you, you can contact me at : firstname.lastname@example.org
Till then..#StaySafe #KeepLearning #KeepCoding