SpaceX designs manufactures and launches advanced rockets and spacecraft. SpaceX has developed several launch vehicles and the Dragon spacecraft.
- first privately funded liquid-propellant rocket to reach orbit (Falcon 1 in 2008)
- first private company to successfully launch, orbit, and recover a spacecraft (Dragon in 2010)
- first private company to send a spacecraft to the International Space Station (Dragon in 2012)
- first propulsive landing for an orbital rocket (Falcon 9 in 2015)
- first reuse of an orbital rocket (Falcon 9 in 2017)
- first private company to launch an object into orbit around the Sun (Falcon Heavy's payload of a Tesla Roadster in 2018)
- first private company to send astronauts to the International Space Station (Dragon 2 in 2020)
SpaceX and NASA :
- SpaceX has flown 20 Then resupply missions to the International Space Station (ISS) under a partnership with NASA.
- NASA also awarded SpaceX a further development contract in 2011 to develop and demonstrate a human-rated Dragon.
- which would be used to transport astronauts to the ISS and return them safely to Earth.
- SpaceX conducted the maiden launch of its Dragon 2 spacecraft on a NASA-required demonstration flight (Crew Dragon Demo-1) on March 2, 2019, and launched its first crewed Dragon 2 on May 30, 2020.
SpaceX-NASA Dragon Demo-2 launch:
SpaceX has become the first private company to launch human beings into orbit, after its Falcon 9 rocket and Crew Dragon spacecraft — carrying two NASA astronauts — successfully blasted off from the Kennedy Space Center in Florida on Saturday. The launch was particularly significant as it marked the first instance of American astronauts being launched into orbit since 2011.
Veteran NASA astronauts Robert Behnken and Douglas Hurley have embarked on a 19-hour voyage to the orbiting International Space Station, where they will spend four months before returning home. The mission was originally scheduled for Wednesday, May 27, but was postponed 16 minutes and 53 seconds prior to the launch due to bad weather caused by the Tropical Storm Bertha.