UCEED refers to the Undergraduate Common Entrance Exam for Design. This exam is conducted by the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay. This entrance exam is for the admission in Bachelor of Design. It is a computer based examination with the duration of 3 hours. In this article, we will cover UCEED Exam Info for all the aspirants.
This exam is conducted once a year, there is a high level of competition for this examination. There are 24 colleges that accept the scores of this exam including IIT Bombay and many other IITs.
This exam is conducted in the month of January every year. In 2019 there were 22414 candidates who appeared for this exam, out of which 2930 got selected as I have said before the competition is quite tough for this examination.
UCEED Exam Eligibility:
- To be eligible for appearing UCEED 2020, candidates must be born on or before October 1, 1995, if they belong to the open or OBC-NCL category, and if they belong to SC, ST, PWD category, then they must be born on or after October 1990.
- Candidates should have passed the qualifying examination, that is class 12th or equivalent in 2019 or appearing in 2020. Further, students from all streams are all eligible to apply for the exam.
- A student can give this exam two times but in consecutive years
UCEED Exam Pattern:
There are quite a few changes that were made for UCEED Exam 2020.
- Till last year there were 85 questions asked but this year they reduced the number of questions to 69 for 300 marks for the duration of three hours.
- It is a computer based exam with two sections , A and B where part A is a computer based test with MCQ whereas part B is the drawing section of the exam.
1. UCEED Part A exam:
- This section has 68 questions for 240 marks(as per 2020). The duration of this exam is two and a half hours.
- This part is divided into 3 subsection:
- NAT(Numerical Ability Test)
- MSQ( Multiple Select Questions)
- MCQ ( Multiple Choice Questions)
- There was no negative marking for NAT in 2020,but the number of questions keeps on changing yearly.
2. UCEED Part B exam:
- This section was for 60 marks for the duration of 30 minutes.
- This section evaluates the drawing skills of the candidate.
- The mode of this exam is offline. The questions for this exam are displayed on the computer screen and you need to draw on the paper.
UCEED Exam Syllabus:
1. UCEED Part A syllabus:
- Folk Music/Dance/ Dresses
- Monuments and Architecture
- Painting band Painter's
- Photography and Film
- Environmental awareness
- Observing figures/ Drawings
- Colour theory
- Conventional Topics like Non Verbal Reasoning, verbal reasoning and quantitative aptitude.
2. UCEED Part B syllabus:
- Principal of design
- Proportion and scaling
- Light and Shadow
- Activities like poster making, logo design, representation
UCEED exam Preparation Strategy:
- Understand the syllabus
First go through all the syllabus of part A and part B. Using both these sources make a list of topics that you need to study or understand, because this will increase your understanding skill for the topic.
2. Cover each topic
Try to cover each and every topic of this exam as there is no similar pattern of this exam.
3. Note making
This exam is all about visual intelligence, if you want to improve in your visual intelligence skills then start preparing notes. So whatever you read should be in visual form. For eg let's say read about a dancer, take a screenshot or make a note of it. This will help you revise and revisit those topics again and again and slowly you will see rise in confidence.
4. Practice past papers
By practicing past papers you will understand the pattern and the type of questions asked in this exam. By practicing past papers you will gain confidence and get good marks.
5. Practice drawing/ sketching for 30-45 minutes
Candidates are suggested to practice drawing and sketching daily for 30-45 mins as it is an important part on this exam.
6. Practice 1 theoritical question daily and make notes.
Notes help you revise on last-minute and remember things easily so candidates must make notes. Also practice theoritical question daily for a good practice.
I hope the UCEED Exam syllabus and the tips help you to prepare for the exams very thoroughly and get good marks. Remember, only practice can make your exam preparation smooth. Good Luck!