NMAT is the exam that helps you to get into the premium college Narsee Monjee University. It is one of the top Business schools in India after the Indian Institute of Management. In this article, we have curated some of the NMAT Exam preparation strategy and tips that will help you to prepare better for the exam.
NMAT is a national level test that is conducted by GMAC, it has three sections:
i) Language skill
ii) Quantitative skill
There are 108 questions with 120 minutes of the allotted time. It is a computer-based test with sectional timing. You can appear for NMAT 3 times in a year with 15 days gap in 75 days test windows, at your preferred time, date, and center. The best score of your three attempts is taken into consideration. The registration date for this exam starts on 1st August 2020 and ends on 5th October 2020. For a good NMAT Exam Preparation, candidates must take a loot at the below table.
Number of questions
Allotted time in minutes
Verbal Ability and RC
Quantitative skills and DI
To get into NMIMS Mumbai you at least need to score 210 and above in NMAT. The advantage of the NMAT exam is that you get to decide the order in which you want to attempt the section.
- Ideally, it is said that starting off with the reasoning section would be an advantage for the NMAT test takers.
- Because you have 40 minutes to solve 36 questions and a lot of these questions are Verbal Reasoning, Critical Reasoning, statement assumption, statement conclusion, inference type of questions which usually takes a lot of time.
- So it is preferred that while you start with these questions your mind is fresh which will be an advantage while solving such questions.
- Even if you get 28-30 questions perfectly correct and the remaining 10-12 questions are just guesses then it would be a very good advantage for you.
- You might be thinking why guesses because there is no negative marking for NMAT.
- You can score around 81 in this section if you give at least 28-30 questions right in this section.
- After the Reasoning section, it is preferable to start with the quantitative section.
- Because the Reasoning section tests you on speed as well as accuracy whereas quants are testing you on one parameter that is accuracy.
- You can see that there are 36 questions and the time limit is 52 minutes, so you can see that it doesn't test speed, it only tests accuracy.
- Even if you attempt 25-30 questions but your accuracy is close to 100% then this section is good to go.
- For the Data Interpretation section if you solve 2 sets accurately out of 5 sections you will get a good score.
Verbal and Reading Comprehension:
- This section is all about your speed, if you have a good reading speed then this section would be very easy.
- The questions that are asked in this section are from Grammar and Reading Comprehension with factual questions.
- The best way to start Verbal is to start off with RCs. If you give 8-10 minutes for 2 RCs then the remaining questions will be a cakewalk.
- So in the last 12-14 minutes, you can easily solve the remaining questions.
- A serious attempt for this question would be 25-27 questions.
Even if you follow the above NMAT Exam guide and tips then you can easily score 210 above and get into your dream college.
Now let's look at what all book you will need for this exam:
1) Verbal Ability
- How to prepare for verbal ability and reading comprehension by Arun Sharma
- Word Power made easy by Norman Lewis
2) Logical Reasoning
- Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation for CAT by Nishit K Sinha
- How to prepare for Logical Reasoning for CAT by Arun Sharma
3) Quantitative Aptitude
- Quantitative Aptitude by RS Agarwal
- Quantitative Aptitude for CAT by Arun Sharma
Along with the above NMAT Exam Guide, candidates should also refer to the below exam preparation tips.
Tips for NMAT Exam preparation:
- Have a proper plan and strategy while preparing for this examination.
- Get to know about the proper paper pattern and syllabus for this exam and the updates related to it.
- Try to be up to date about the current affairs which may help you in the verbal section.
- Revise and be aware of the concepts of data interpretation and quantitative section.
5. Take as many mock tests as you can as it will help you in attempting the final NMAT exam smoothly.
This was the complete NMAT Exam Preparation Strategy and Tips. I hope these preparation strategies are helpful for you and hope you apply these strategies while preparing for this examination. Good Luck!