The ideal method to start your UPSC preparation, according to myself and other prior
IAS test toppers, is to study through the NCERT books for UPSC and then move on to
the regular UPSC 2022 book list (consisting of the standard books).
You should also be careful about the IAS books you chose for your preparation, as the
UPSC prelims and mains are significantly distinct from one another, necessitating two
separate sets of reading material for each.
The UPSC Prelims, as a wholly objective sort of paper, would require its own set of book lists, while the UPSC Mains, as a completely subjective paper, would require its own.
Best NCERT Books for UPSC
Listed below are the best NCERT books for UPSC according to the various subjects of the UPSC exam (of both Prelims and Mains Phases)
NCERT Books for Art and Culture:
- Art & Culture: Class 11: An Introduction to Indian Art
- Art & Culture: Class 11: Living Craft Traditions of India (Chapters IX & X)
NCERT Books for Environment & Ecology:
- Science: Class 12: Biology: last four Chapters (13 – 16)
NCERT Books for Economy:
- Class 9 Economics
- Class 10: Understanding Economic Development
- Class 11: Indian Economic Development
- Class 12: Introductory Microeconomics
- Class 12: Introductory Macroeconomics
NCERT Books for Indian Society:
- Indian Society: Class 6: Social Science: Social & Political Life I
- Indian Society: Class 7: Social Science: Social & Political Life II
- Indian Society: Class 8: Social Science: Social & Political Life III
- Indian Society: Class 11: Sociology: Understanding Society
- Indian Society: Class 12: Indian Society
- You can also refer to class 12th Sociology book.
Read about: Commerce Optional Exam Analysis