Students often wonder, how can they excel in their academics or how they improve in a subject. While trying to find the answer to these questions, they often fall prey to rote learning. Rote learning does no good to the learning process of a student, in practical senses as it can last only for a short period of time and lead to loss of focus.
Then the question arises "What else can be the solution?"
Some may come up with answers like 'an understanding based learning' or 'a better teaching approach'. And these parameters do account to a good learning experience but in a partial way. A teacher can impart all his knowledge in the best possible ways to the student. But it solely depends on the student how he grasps and understands it. Revision sessions also play a vital role in this. In order to make the most of the knowledge imparted or even to gain knowledge and excel in academics, one must have a certain study skill set.
So what is a Study Skill Set?
It is basically the skills a student must have in order to study and learn in an effective manner and being able to implement it in an effective manner. These skills further structures one's personality when inculcated and becomes the important set of transferable life skills.
Here are a few advantages and benefits of having a Study skill set.
- One can have his/her personalized approach to study and learning
- It improves academic performance
- Study Skill Set will not only help you excel in the academics but also help you succeed in life
- It accounts to an organized living, which In turn cuts down extra study hours and helps you manage time.
- It helps to improve the ability of learning, understanding and retaining knowledge.
- It helps you recognize and focus on the demanding areas.
With the said benefits of Study skills, let's not jump to understand what these skills exactly are. In order to imbibe the skill set, one must be willing to inculcate it as a habit and not just a mere schedule.
- Organized study and Organized schedule : Organized environment inside and as well as on the outside sort a lot of things in the process of learning. An organized surrounding and an organized schedule enables you to give ample amount of time and refrains you from unnecessary cluttering. An organized schedule will help to focus and make time for study, play and relaxation as well.
- Optimal utilization of resources : In the world of technology today, nothing is far fetched. You can use the internet as a medium of learning. A recent study states that watching educational videos and visually appealing content helps students understand and retain the concept well. Apart from the world of internet, the handy materials like books, guides, notes can also help if used appropriately.
- Effective reading & Use REAP method : REAP method enables students to improve their understanding of the text and grasp it strategically. REAP is an acronym for Read, Encode, Annotate and Ponder.
- Read : Read more than once, Reading imparts a better understanding of a concept and helps you ask questions.
- Encode : Encoding a concept helps you to strategically remember it. It's similar to how 'REAP' is used here, with each alphabet being an acronym.Do you remember how we learnt the sequence of the color of the rainbow? We used the encode technique and developed the acronym VIBGYOR.
- Annotate : Writing meanings of a word, examples for better understanding or adding extra information to a concept in a form of comment helps you to relate and remember it.
- Ponder : Thinking, discussing with others on the concepts you have studied either in the form of a question or a simple discussion would allow the possibility of elaboration, understanding and critical thinking.
- Note making : The first step in note making is
- Note down the professors board notes, examples and elaboration given.
- Highlight the important points.
- Notice verbal clues
- Create your own Memorization tricks and abbreviations.
- Make a glossary of terms and new words.
- Memorization : Avoid rote learning and have an understanding based learning. For this one can.
- Tell/teach someone else.
- Understand the concept.
- Watch video content.
- Recite it out loud.
- Revision skills : Revision is the important aspect to retain the understood and memorized content. Multiple revisions is a must.
- Assessment : Assessment helps you evaluate yourself and improve your performance. Here Assessment can be implemented in two ways.
- Oral : You can ask your friend or your mom to ask questions about the concept you have studied.
- Written : Note the questions or prepare a question paper and try solving it.
After acquiring all the required skill set, one will surely step towards improvement. We must always remember, Good habits and skill always pay off.