Choosing the correct career after class 12th can be a daunting task. Many students are often confused as to which career is the right one for them. Students must know that opting for biology as the main subject in class 12th is the first step to enter their dream career in the medical field.
The common misconception among students is that there are only limited career options available after class 12th biology i.e. MBBS and BDS. However, this is not the case as there are abundant options that students can choose after their class 12th biology.
Firstly, you must know that there are many entrance exams that you can give in order to clear certain medical undergraduate programs. NEET is one of the most popular and demanding competitive exams followed by AIIMS and JIPMER that witnesses lakhs of students each year. Let’s take a look at some of the career options available after clearing your NEET Exam.
CAREER OPTIONS AFTER NEET:
1. MBBS- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) is one of the most demanded and lucrative career options after clearing the NEET exam. You can establish yourself as a successful doctor after completing this degree.
Duration: This undergraduate program consists of 5.5 years.
Job Profile: Some of the job profiles in MBBS include Doctor, Surgeon, Physician, Scientist, Professor and Researcher.
Salary: The salary that an MBBS doctor earns starts from 8-10 lakhs per annum and keeps on increasing with their experience in the medical field.
2. BDS- Bachelor in Dental Surgery (BDS) is another sought-after career that you can opt for after clearing your NEET exam. This degree is equal to MBBS and individuals can become a dental surgeon after completing this program.
Duration: The duration of this program is of 5 years.
Job Profile: Some of the job profiles under BDS include Dentist, Dental Surgeon, Orthodontics, Periodontics and Prosthodontics.
Salary: The salary of BDS starts from 4-6 lakhs per annum and can increase according to the experience in the medical field.
3. BHMS- Bachelor of Homeopathy Medicine and surgery is a program that is aimed to provide homeopathy knowledge to individuals.
Duration: The duration of this program is of 5.5.years
Job Profile: Some of the job profiles under BHMS include Homeopathy doctor, Pharmacist, Researcher, Medical writer, Professor, etc.
Salary: The salary of a BHMS ranges from 3-5 lakhs per annum and increases with experience in the medical field.
4. BUMS- Bachelor of Unani Medicine and Surgery is a program that is focused
to provide complete knowledge on the Unani system i.e. healing the human body by natural means.
Duration: The duration of this program is 5.5 years.
Job Profile: Some of the job profiles under BUMS include Hakeem, Therapist, Spa director, medical consultant, etc.
Salary: The salary of BUMS ranges from 2-4 lakhs per annum and increases with experience in the medical field.
5. BAMS- Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine and surgery deals with the study of Ayurveda.
Duration: The duration of this program is 5 years and 6 months.
Job Profile: There are various job profiles under BAMS which include Ayurvedic doctor, therapist, scientist, professor and so on.
Salary: The salary of BAMS ranges from 3-5 lakhs per annum depending on the nature of the job.
Now, clearing NEET requires a lot of hardwork and dedication. Not many students are able to crack this exam on their first attempt due to the high competition and the level of difficulty.
However, students must not lose their hope as there are many graduation programs available that they can appear to after their 12th Biology. There is no need to clear any competitive exams for entering these courses as your class 12th marks are sufficient to get into these graduate programs. Let’s look at the various graduate courses available below.
GRADUATION PROGRAMS AFTER CLASS 12th BIOLOGY WITHOUT NEET:
1. Botany- Botany deals with the study of plants, their structure, growth, processes, etc. After completing Botany, you can land a job in horticulture, nursery manager, environmental consultant and so on. The salary ranges from 5-8 lakhs per annum depending on the job role.
2. Microbiology- Microbiology deals with the study of microorganisms such as bacteria, viruses, fungus, etc. After completing Microbiology, you can work as a lab technician, clinical researcher, quality control, research scientist and so on. The salary ranges from 1.5 - 5 lakh per annum depending on the nature of the job.
3. Zoology- Zoology is a branch which deals with the study of animals like analyzing their life process, structure, habits, classification and so on. After graduating with this degree one can work as a wildlife biologist, zoo curator, animal breeder, researcher and so on. The salary that Zoologist receives may vary from 4-6 lakhs per annum.
4. Environmental Science- Environmental science deals with the study of certain components of the environment like physical, chemical and biological. After completing this course, one can work in the field of research in various industries. The salary that this field offers ranges from 3-4 lakhs per annum.
5. BioChemistry- This field is a combination of biology and chemistry where studies related to chemical processes and living organisms are carried out. After graduating with this course, individuals can work as biomedical scientists, research scientists, forensic scientists, lab technicians and so on. The salary that one can receive in this job profile ranges from 1,50,000- 4 lakh per annum and can increase depending on the job profile.
6. Genetics- As the name itself suggests, genetics is dealing with genes and their related aspects. After completing this program, individuals can work as geneticists, forensic DNA analysts, medical technologists, research scientists and so on. The salary of a geneticist ranges between 4-7 lakhs per annum.
7. BioTechnology- BioTechnology is the combination of Biology and technology under which one can learn to study living organisms like cells and bacteria. After completing this program, individuals can work as clinical researchers, nutritionists, animal husbandry, agriculture and so on. The salary that a Biotechnologist earns can vary between 3-8 lakhs per annum depending on the nature of the job.
8. Bioinformatics- Bioinformatics deals with the study of biomedical research with the help of biology, statistics, mathematics, engineering, and science. After completing this program, individuals can work as research scientists, bioinformatics software developers, professors, science technicians and so on. The salary can vary between 2-7 lakhs per annum depending on the type of job.
According to many online reports, it has been observed that the hospital industry in India is expected to grow $13 billion by the year 2023. This number is very huge and so the demand for the medical sector will reach great heights in the coming years. Students who are in their class 12th can refer to this article to get a clear direction for their options and choose the right one for them accordingly.
As there are numerous career options after 12th biology, you can choose the correct one by weighing its pros and cons. Check out the job options, the scope of the job, salary growth, etc and only then make a choice for yourself. Hope this article helps you clear your doubts. Good luck!
How to prepare for medical exams online